Update: Blaze that caused $75K damage to Ogden home started by transient

Crews from Ogden and Roy fire departments responded to a structure fire at at 3166 Grant Ave. on Monday evening, June 25, 2018. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Nancy Van Valkenburg

OGDEN, Utah, June 26, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — An Ogden transient squatting in a vacant home with no utilities started a fire that caused $75,000 in damages Monday evening.

Firefighters were initially dispatched at 6:36 p.m to 3166 Grant Ave., Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said in a news release Tuesday.

“Upon arrival, crews reported heavy smoke coming from the eves and upstairs window of the vacant two-story home,” the news release said.

Eighteen firefighters from Ogden City and Roy Fire Department responded with two ladder trucks, two engines, one ambulance, one paramedic rescue, the Battalion Chief and one Deputy Fire Marshal.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and spent the next two hours performing
overhaul procedures, the news release said.

“The fire has been determined to be human caused, accidental, and started by a
transient who was squatting in the vacant, uninhabitable home, as there were no
utilities,” the news release says.

There were no injuries associated with the fire.

Crews from Ogden and Roy fire departments responded to a structure fire at at 3166 Grant Ave. on Monday evening, June 25, 2018. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Nancy Van Valkenburg

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here